I’ve worked in technology for over 36 years. I’m picky as hell. I’ve been looking for a new all-in-one (AIO) printer for a while. I’ve tried Epson, Canon, Lexmark. I never tried Brother. I saw the Brother MFC-J825DW printer in OfficeMax where it was on sale before Amazon for $99 and picked it up. The quality and the price of the inks looked great, the features were killer, and I needed the scanner because I often scan documents and photos, as well as use DocsVault to have a paperless office. I figured I would return it if I didn’t like it. No harm, no foul.
Man, was I surprised. The quality of the construction is terrific. It has a small footprint and low noise. The paper tray combines holding the paper and providing the output tray. It also will store a stack of 4×6 photo paper ready to go. All you have to do is push a lever to move the photo paper into position. The tray will extend as well for legal size paper. The paper stops on the output tray and the fax tray are a little flimsy, but I can live with it.
The document feeder is smooth as silk. The touch screen removes the need for endless buttons by transforming itself based on the selected functions. The driver and software is excellent.
The printer functions both wired and wireless and has the usual fax functions. There’s even a built-in DVD printer!
Now for the gravy! There is an iPad and iPhone app that allows you to scan DIRECTLY TO YOUR iOS DEVICE! It works flawlessly. The quality of the scans are beautiful. In addition, there will be a FIRMWARE UPDATE in 1Q 2012 that will enable the printer for AIRPRINT! SCORE!
All of that in a brand new released model for $99! What is Brother thinking? I don’t care. I love this device and I highly recommend it. The output is excellent. It prints very quickly in draft mode and does a great job of saving me paper with duplex. It is serving all of our devices in the house. Best I’ve seen yet!
What have you got to lose? Try it! If you hate it, return it. No harm, no foul. Check it out on Amazon.com here.
Here are the specifications from Brother.com:
The MFC-J825DW offers print, copy, scan and fax features and is ideal for the small or home office. Share with multiple computers on a network using the wireless (802.11b/g/n) or wired Ethernet connection. The 3.3″ TouchScreen color LCD display is perfect for interactive and easy to use menu navigation. Access your FACEBOOK™, PICASA Web Albums™, FLICKR® GOOGLE DOCS™ and EVERNOTE® accounts via the Web Connect TouchScreen Interface±. Print directly on printable blank DVDs, CDs and Blu-ray discs™± for personalization. Help save paper with automatic duplex (2-sided). Unattended fax, copy and scan up to 20-page documents using the automatic document feeder. ISO print speeds of 12 ppm black / 10 ppm color (ISO/IEC 24734)±.
- Flexible Wireless & Wired Interfaces. Easy to setup wireless (802.11b/g/n) or wired Ethernet networking.
- 3.3″ TouchScreen Color LCD Display. Edit and enhance images and easily read help menus.
- Duplex (2-sided) Printing. Create two-sided documents and save paper with duplex printing.
- Unattended Fax, Copy or Scan. Up to 20-sheet auto document feeder.
- Fast Color Printing on Demand. Fast mode printing with speeds up to 35ppm black and 27ppm color. ‡ ISO print speeds up to 12 ppm black and 10 ppm color (ISO/IEC 24734).‡
- Web Connect TouchScreen. access your FACEBOOK™, Picasa Web Album™, FLICKR® GOOGLE DOCS™ and EVERNOTEe® accounts via the Web Connect TouchScreen Interface‡.
- CD/DVD Printing. Print directly on to your printable blank DVDs, CDs and Blu-ray™ discs±.
- Brother™ iPrint&Scan. Free app download for wireless printing (JPEG & PDF) from and scanning to your Apple®, Android™ OR Windows® Phone 7 (JPEG only) mobile device‡.
- Mobile Printing Wireless printing from your mobile device via: Google Cloud Print™and Brother™ iPrint & Scan..
- 4-Cartridge Ink System. Only change the cartridge that needs to be replaced.
- ENERGY STAR® Qualified.
- 2 Year Limited Warranty.