Anyone who knows me knows that backup is one of the issues I bang my fist about on a daily basis. The number of people who do not backup their computer hard drives is frightening. There is so much to lose! Your financial information, e-mails, pictures and videos of your child’s first steps and visits to DisneyWorld, scanned documents, your recipe collection… it can all be gone in the instant your hard drive decides it just doesn’t want to take another spin. Backing up your hard drive is just as important as running an anti-virus program. It is something you should not even think twice about.
There are many products that can help you backup your information; some designed to copy your data from one hard drive to another. You should definitely make a copy of your data to an external USB hard drive; however, you should have TWO backup copies of your files in two separate locations in order to be the most secure. One copy of your data should be in a “galaxy, far, far away.” That is where online backup services fit the bill.
There are a number of services available today for online backup: Mozy, Carbonite, CrashPlan and others. The one that caught my eye, my admiration, my trust and my wallet was Jungle Disk. I’m not sure where the name came from although it does make me giggle when I tell people about it. The name aside, JungleDisk is a robust, reliable, excellent online backup service that deserves serious consideration.
What do I love about JungleDisk? Here are my TOP 10!
- Rackspace, the world’s leader in managed hosting, acquired Jungle Disk in October of 2008. Founded in 1998, they have a consistent record of profitability and are a public company traded on the NYSE (NYSE:RAX). With Rackspace’s leadership in the cloud computing space, combined with their commitment to customer service, they help to ensure the long-term success of the Jungle Disk software and services. RackSpace delivers enterprise-level hosting services to businesses of all sizes and kinds around the world. They started in 1998 and since have grown to serve more than 70,000 customers, including over 51,000 cloud computing customers. They rock!
- Runs on any operating system: Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Allows you to create multiple online hard drives to segregate information from different systems. Use one for work, and one for home.
- Maps your online hard drive as a network drive. You can access your backup files directly from Windows Explorer, Mac OS Finder and the Linux equivalents.
- Access your files from a web browser anywhere you are located.
- Keeps multiple versions of your files so you can restore back to a needed older version.
- You have a choice of storing your hard drive on Amazon.com’s S3 Online Storage or Rackspace’s Cloud. You only pay 15 cents per gigabyte! That’s bananas! Only pay for what you use!
- Your hard drives are fully encrypted.
- Rackspace has multiple backup centers around the country to ensure you can reach your data when you need it.
- Low cost, great service! What more could you want?
So with all that Jungle Disk has going for it, why aren’t you using it to protect your valuable information and memories right now?!